Friday, November 23, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 8

"So this is fresh air? Smells weird."

I took a short drive into the hills that separate Topanga and Malibu and began my hike to the water tower.  I used to hike there often when I was younger, but I haven't visited this trail in years, so it seemed unfamiliar.  I chose this particular path because I wanted to escape from society and hike a remote area.  

Several miles in I expected to see less landscaped hills and more natural brush, but it never came.  I, for one, actually enjoy the aesthetics of nature, and for me to have been so far in the mountains and still find human occupancy surrounding me reminded me that "nature" in its "natural" state is a rarity. 





There are two viable ways of analyzing "nature" from my observations gathered from my hike.  First, we can see nature as a terrain of meaning or value.  Untouched land has a natural aesthetic value that people utilize to signify their personal gains.  For example, average income raises by coastline and elevation, and I happened to be near both of these natural features. It was apparent that the homes visible from the trail belonged to middle or upper class people.  Also, locating closer to nature and further away from the city/production symbolizes status. Last, nature holds aesthetic value due to the aesthetically pleasing aspects that heighten human's health and wellness.

Second, we can see nature as a terrain with limited resources.  With approximately 7 billion people living on earth, and with the increasing number of mega-cities, nature itself, space within mother nature that humans are not in contact with, is a scarce resource.  And natural resources, such as clean water and air, come into question as well.

While it is desirable to live near or in nature, it is also important to conserve this diminishing resource.  Nature is a true reality yet we exploit it and take its uses for granted.  It would benefit us all if we raise nature's value in our society and respect its resources that let us thrive.  


-Britt


No comments:

Post a Comment