Friday, October 5, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 1

"What difference does difference make in the landscapes of the contemporary, metropolitan Los Angeles region?"
Introduction

For the next 10 weeks I will strive to answer the question above to the best of my ability.  I will travel across the city to do physical research in order to further understand and analyze the social differences that partake within this metropolitan region. 

I was born and raised in the beautiful city of L.A., but what I realized last summer is that I barely know this city I call my home.  And what made me have this epiphany was the geography course I took over the summer.  Geography 156 Metropolitan L.A. and the professor Rick Miller were ultimately what opened my eyes to the things of L.A. I’ve never seen before.  For starters, L.A.’s history is unique to the East Coast cities’ long and homogenous histories beginning in colonial times.  Also it is interesting to note that L.A. became a metropolitan city with the idea of defensibility surrounding it, for it was WWII that really put L.A. on the map.  I wrote a final research paper for the course detailing the recent spike in racial tensions due to the question of assimilation and social defensive barriers to prevent integration and how it affects the future social, cultural and human geographies of L.A.  While that thesis may not be the main focus of this course, I think it the ideas of defensibility and social differences are closely related when referring to L.A. 

What I am looking forward to most is to learn the social logistics of L.A. and how they have interacted with each other to create the City of Angels I know fairly well today.  I am excited to visit both places in L.A. I’ve never been before as well as revisit the areas I have been but with a geographic perspective in mind.  I can hardly await the adventurous trips that are sure to come in the next couple of weeks!


-Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment